Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Technorati

I did this homework, looked around Technorati and found more of the same of the same of the same that we have been looking at and looking at and looking at. All that it appears to be doing is joining more and more people via more and more words to more and more people with more and more words to more and more people with more and more words.

On the Technorati blog post I found "My Librarian's Learning 2.0 planning group" which was in flikr, clicked on the tags and found more of the same, more librarians blogging, more tags to more librarians blogging, and the same in the Blog Directory where Web 2.0 was listed under Technology and took me to more people blogging and tagging and tagging and blogging about books and libraries and librarians!

I have no desire to claim my blog, nor add tags, nor create a watchlist. Life is short enough as it is without hunting for strangers all over the world to comment on their comments and the comments others have made on their comments until the universe is filled with comments and yet more comments on comments until the comments comment on each other, and the tags tag each other, like mad dogs chasing their tails!

If I want to communicate with people, I will talk to them at best, at second best phone them, at third best email them, and at worst blog for/to/at them.

If I want information, I'll go to a library or a bookshop and borrow or buy a book and read and read and read until my mind and body and soul are saturated to overflowing with the splendour of truth and beauty revealed by the great hearts and minds using words to create a meaningful world.

But what I want most of all, is to have silence of both sound and sight, so that I can think and be without this incredible need and greed for global communication at the cost of my very precious and short time on this earth, time that I want to spend with the people I love and in a world that I love, not glued to a computer screen connected to billions of blogs and tags and posts and comments by people I don't know and probably wouldn't want to know anyway.

I do not want to spend hours and hours and hours in front of a computer unless it is to create something beautiful, in which case all these exercises might just lead somewhere, but until then, I'm overwhelmed with the convolutions and ramifications of these sites that sit like predators preying on each other, gobbling each other and everyone up into a parallel universe of meaningless babble.

I feel as though I am being sucked into a black hole by faceless forces fighting for space in my space until I will cease to exist except as bits of bytes in space tracking each other endlessly and pointlessly until they implode and that will be the end of that, the Big Bang in reverse!

Just reading Technorati's mission statement unnerves me - I do not want to be linked to everyone around the world, not even in my own fields of education and librianship. How many people can one talk to in a day? How many people do I want to talk to in a day?

And the million dollar question, who are these people I am talking to anyway? Would I want them in my house? Would I want them around my children? Faceless friends or faceless foes?

Who will ever know!