Sunday, August 3, 2008

Technology


I am enormously appreciative of the incredible advances that technology has made to improve the quality of every aspect of human life on the planet. I am however of the opinion that it must serve me and not me serve it.

In his introduction to his book, "The Cult of the Amateur: how today's internet is killing our culture," Andrew Keen has the following to say ..

"The boom has returned to Silicon Valley, and the mad utopians are once again running wild. I bumped into one such evangelist at a recent San Francisco mixer.

Over glasses of fruity local Chardonnay, we swapped notes about our newest new things. He told me his current gig involved a new sofware for publishing music, text, and video on the Internet.

"It's MySpace meets YouTube meets Wikipedia meets Google." he said, "On steroids."

In reply, I explained I was working on a polemic about the destructive impact of the digital revolution on our culture, economy, and values.

"It's ignorance meets egoism meets bad taste meets mob rule," I said, unable to resist a smile, "On steroids."

If you haven't read this book yet, now is the time. It is all about Web 2.0