Monday, August 4, 2008

RSS Feeds


I'm overcome with my own brilliance!!!! I have successfully created a free online Blogline (have spent three hours doing all this!!!) and added the newsfeeds as instructed by the exercise, AND then, don't ask me how I did it, but while trying to add The New Zealand Herald to the Blogline site, I created a folder that I named Bloglines, added The New Zealand Herald to it and then it disappeared - couldn't find it anywhere at all - took an entire hour to find it and then only by accident - after another hour of trial and error!!!!!

I gave up and moved on to the second part of the exercise AND THEN, oh my sainted aunt, I found the magic key!!!!

I went into the little RSS feed icon on Windows Internet Explorer when I was in my Post (I read it lovingly in case no one else ever does so that it doesn't feel neglected) and clicked onto it and voila, there it asked me if I wanted to add myself to myself, which I didn't, but, thank you, thank you, thank you Bill Gates - you added the million dollar answer to all my questions about RSS feeds - bless you!

It is all there my darlings in words of simple English. AND I discovered that one does not have to join Blogline at all, just find a site you love and if it has a RSS feed icon, all you have to do is click onto it, and then save your feed into a folder as asked (don't call it Bloglines as it can be confused with the Blogline site - silly me) AND then you click onto the the little yellow star under the Google icon in the top left hand corner and THERE THEY ALL ARE!!!!!! JEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ why didn't they just say so???????????? I could have cleaned my house by now AND had a meal in all the time I've spent fiddling around!

As per instructions I've added three of the participants blogs to it, Auntyof3, Simple Simon and North Shore web2.0 programme. I'm almost too weak with effort to even make tea/dinner/supper/food (still have difficulties with NZ terms for mealtimes!) I think I will partake of some liquid grape to celebrate this gigantic breakthrough. Just wait until I tell my kids! They are going to be convinced that their aged mother is a genius!!!! I AM! Mind you they are always telling me "just play around with all the icons, Ma, and you'll learn everything you need to know!" Not without the help of Bill Gates, I add fondly, declaring him my hero yet again! At this rate Paradise may well be Regained!

To use the vernacular and to hell with the niceties of the English language, I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!! (I will deny ever having said that!)

And now I am going to add all my favourite sites that have regular updates to my Bloglines on Windows Explorer and be able to access them with a click of the star without ever having to sign in to the Blogline site ever again unless instructed to do so by the exercises!

And now to eat ......... and drink ......... and sleep ....... perchance to dream ......