Thursday, December 3, 2009

Google Web Searches



I would say that to date Google is the centre of the search engine universe - it is of mine! I had a look at them all and found that they all offer virtually the same websites, images, videos, news items, and suggestion for further searching, as well as translations, books, blogs and forums. Google offers the "more" option as well which drills down to "even more" to provide a list of Google products that boggles my mind! AND it has the Wonder Wheel which I love because it simply explodes with ideas around a basic search, taking one on ever expandng journeys of discovery. AND it has the Time Line which can be broken down into dates - the history of everything at any point in time! AND it keeps a list of pages visited. AND last but by no means least it is user friendly in the extreme. I could hug it! Now all it has to do is talk to me and do the housework and it would be perfect! Now all that I need is time to search and search and search and ...... and I haven't even tapped into Google Earth yet! I must look up longevity! I am going to need it!

Despite my many misgivings about the intent of some content and the safety issues around using the Internet it really is a tool that could educate the world and thereby eradicate the social ills that beset it due to an almost universal ignorance. I do want to believe that it is a force for good, and that, like society as a whole, there is more good than bad and that overall that good will triumph. I will hold my breath! Worth holding on for ....

Congratulations and thank you, Google!