Saturday, September 13, 2008

Social Networking comments

I think I have said everything I have to say on social networking in my previous blog, so I will just emphasise that, while there are some benefits, great care is needed to ensure privacy and safety, especially where inexperienced children and young people are concerned. Parents, family members, friends, teachers, caregivers and librarians are morally obliged as responsible and caring adults to check what is being dished out to the young people in their care. Until young people are mature enough, been well taught and informed enough to make life altering decisions for themselves, and to take full responsibility for themselves and the consequences of their actions, they need the help of those who have, or should have, their best interests at heart.

I sincerely do pray that the world wide web will bring about a change in man's way of looking at the world, and that it will be a better way designed to improve the quality of life for everyone and everything on the planet, rather than to reduce it all to the lowest common denominator because we are too slack to do the hard work to demand the best for everything and everyone.

Remember the story of how paradise was lost? There is no going back once the apple of the tree of knowledge has been eaten. When we have the knowledge we have to apply it. We can apply it for good or for evil. The choice will always be the ours, each individual's. With the advent of collective bargaining, a collective choice to do good can sometimes be extremely fragile in the face of collective evil to do harm. I have spent a lifetime pondering why this is so. Still no answers, sadly. Millions of lives and whole civilisations have been lost when sight of the greater good has been ignored.

I'll stop here because I could write a book on the subject and this isn't the place!

Here's to a brave new world born out of the honest intent to use the world wide web as a means to enlightenment and hope for mankind, the stepping stone of our next evolutionary surge into the future, perhaps?